Thursday, November 13, 2008

You Prayin' or Exercising?

First, you have to read this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27008935/?GT1=43001

It occurs to me that folks can get exercised (no pun intended) about some of the most interesting things. There seems to be no shortage of opinions about anything.

I am sure that there are some folks who really can pray and exercise, work and/or meditate under any conditions. I am not one of those. A priest at the church that I attend once told us that if we didn't believe that Satan existed, that we should try to pray. I can't even make it through a full sermon at church. The shortest prayers challenge my attention span. I guess that I am just too easily distracted to pray well. So, how would I do it during exercise?

It is real difficult for me to view exercise as a religious experience. I gotta tell you. When I exercise, the only thing that I am likely to pray about is that I don't hurt myself during the next repetition.

5 comments:

deichmans said...

Hmmmm... Yoga is correlated to Hinduism, so therefore it should be banned....

Just like eating is tied to Jesus's admonition at the Last Supper to "remember [Him]" whenever you eat or drink.

So I guess we should also ban eating and drinking at public schools too? At least for the Christians.

Anonymous said...

Bet that Baptist Minister has no problem with his religion in schools. He is just selective, right. That is why there is not prayer in school, because you can't pick and choose in this country of religious freedom. Now, exercise derived from a religious belief that serves a purpose to the students IMHO is not classified as praying.

Anonymous said...

Just silly. Besides, has any court ever opined that students (or anyone else) cannot pray silently -- in school or otherwise?

The answer is no. Maybe they're exercising, maybe they're praying, maybe they're reviewing multiplication tables in their heads. Maybe they're doing all three.

That preacher needs a new hobby.

Anonymous said...

OK D TIME TO POST.

Donato's Mixed Bag said...

A.,

I appreciate the reminder -- really. I have been more than slothful lately.